July 20, 2008

Excellent Trout Recipe

If you’re fishing in Wyoming, chances are pretty good that you’re going to catch trout of some sort or another. We were fishing yesterday, and caught a couple of nice rainbow trout. Well, I wanted to cook them today, but I’m the only one who really likes to eat them, so I decided to try a different recipe, and we found a winner. James liked it. Anna wouldn’t even try it on principle. (“Ewww. Fish.”) Julie was asleep so she didn’t get a chance to taste it because James and I ate it all up. Sorry, Jules. Anyway... I’ve tucked this away in my EverNote database of recipes that I will definitely use again.

Best. Trout. Ever.

Now, being a Sunday and not having a chance to go to the grocery store to get the exact ingredients, we did improvise by using dried ground ginger, garlic powder, and chopped onions instead of fresh ginger, minced garlic, and green onions, but overall it got a big “Woot!” from those who tried it. I served it with a side of greens and balsamic vinagrette, and it all worked well. I’m going fishing again this week, and I’ll probably try a different adaptation of the recipe where I bake it whole so I don’t have to try to filet the 1-pound fish we usually bring home.

Full disclosure: I still haven’t tried Drew’s recipe for trout with buttery crackers, which I hear is pretty dang good. Emily, who may be the pickiest eater I know, even eats the trout when Drew cooks it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment