June 26, 2007

How to sign away 30 years of future cash flows in an hour

We are at the end of our troubles. Which end remains to be seen. We closed on our home this afternoon in Pinedale. Since signing documents for a house closing is more boring than watching the Utah State <fill in team of choice> play <fill in sport of choice> (I bet I get some nasty comments for that one, to which I say, “Bring it on, sheepherders.”) (That’s an inside joke, by the way.), I'll give you the condensed version here. The dialogue went something like this:

Title Company Lady: Sign here, here, here, here, and here. And here. OK. Now sign here, here, here and here. And here, and here. Don't worry about all that legalese. It’s just to protect the interest of the lenders and ensure that you get screwed if anything ever happens to you.

Aaron: (Upon looking at the 30 year amortization schedule) Ahh... the magic of compound interest. I just made some bank a bunch of money.

Our Realtor®: It just makes you want to throw up.

Aaron: Here's the confirmation number for the wire transfer. My down payment on this house is more than half of the total purchase price of my last home.

Our Realtor®: Yep. It just makes you want to throw up.

Title Company Lady: Mr. and Mrs. Clark, welcome to Sublette County, Wyoming. We hope you enjoy yourselves.

Aaron: I’ll try to avoid throwing up. <Grin>

And with a few strokes of our quills and a ring to the credit union for a wire transer, we are the happy and (very) satisfied owners of a home in picturesque Marbleton, Wyoming. For those wishing to visit, the address is:

715 East Third Street
Marbleton, Wyoming 83113

For those wishing to send information by post, the address is:

General Delivery
Marbleton, Wyoming 83113

Photos of the place to come forth once I remember that I have a camera on my cell phone. Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment