June 8, 2008

Well, here we go again.

It may astound and surprise you, but here I go again. I’m posting for the second time in as many weeks. Work has been busy, as predicted earlier, and I imagine that it will be even more busy over the next couple of days. Tomorrow’s tasks include the reconciliations of debt and fixed assets. If I were smarter, I would probably do a weekly update to keep my schedules in balance and be more aware of what is happening, but I don’t. So, I’m looking forward to a couple of long days. Such is life.

We had an enjoyable week this week. We got to travel down to Green River yesterday (Saturday) for a cub scout day camp. Julie is one of the den mothers in the area, which is why we got to go. An interesting aside: the Church is the chartered organization for purposes of scouting, but there are actually fewer LDS kids involved in cub scouting than there are LDS kids. I think it’s great; in Utah it seemed like everyone was afraid of scouts because it was a “Mormon” thing, but everyone up here is pretty comfortable with it.

Green River is about 2 hours south of Big Piney, on I-80 between Rock Springs and Lyman/Fort Bridger. It’s actually quite a pretty town, with lots of trees and grass (which my wife and kids so graciously pointed out [rubbed in my face], is quite unlike the barren desert where they live), built in a sort of wide canyon surrounded by tall sandstone cliffs and high desert hills. The town derives its name from the famous Green River that flows through the town. I learned yesterday that the town is the site where John Wesley Powell originated his famous float trip down the Colorado. I also saw for the first time in my life, municipal horse stables. Apparently the town makes available (I don’t know if you rent or buy like timeshare or what) stables for the folks who like to keep horses. The area taken up by these stables was quite large; it seemed big enough to cover all of the area held my the Midway Mall, and then some. But I digress.

For not knowing where we were going, nor how to get to the camp location, we got there with little incident. I missed one turn, but was able to save that with minimal loss of face, and then we drove right past the turn to the park where the scout camp was, but realized that quickly, and got to our destination a few minutes later. The weather was not cooperative yesterday (we saw a few snowflakes at home after we returned from camp), so the activities were all done inside a large barn that had been transmogrified into an archery range. It was dusty and noisy (oh boy was it noisy), but the kids all had a lot of fun. The leaders were all ready for whiskey and sleeping pills afterward, but we all survived. After I get a chance to do a little resizing and retouching, I’ll get a couple of photos up here for everyone to see.

Today we all enjoyed church together. Everyone, that is, except the congregation who had to suffer through my poor attempts to substitute as an organ player. Yikes. I played the first two hymns according to the direction of the chorister, as an accompanist ought to do, and boy did they drag. There are few things I hate more than hymns that are played slower than they should be. After the sacrament I sat down with Julie (who is friends with the chorister), and she explained that the chorister doesn’t really know how to lead, and she just follows the organ. Well, I tried to perk up the last two hymns of the afternoon, but I wasn’t very familiar with the last (I’ve sung it, but this may have been the first time I ever played it), and I hit several sour notes. Blech. I can tell it’s been a long time since I practiced regularly.

Well, that’s all I’ve got to say about that. I’ll sign off with a quick plug for Big Piney as a vacation destination. We’ve already got people making reservations for the summer time (and it really is gorgeous during the summer), so hurry and let us know when you’re coming before the dates you want get filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment