May 25, 2010

Exercise is a dangerous past-time

It was such a nice day out today, that I decided to go for a ride on my bicycle after work. I rode down into the valley north of Lyman, and then headed west on the county road, past the reservoir. The scenery was beautiful, the temperature was pleasant, there was hardly any breeze; in short, it was a great day for a ride.

On the west side of the valley, as you head toward Urie, there's a large hill. I looked at the hill, and said to myself, "I can get up that hill easy." About three-quarters of the way up, I was exhausted, and got off my bike. I walked up the rest of the way, thinking to myself, "That hill was bigger than I thought. Once I get to the top, though, I'll be OK."

After I got to the top, I was feeling a little queasy, and thought, "I better stop and rest for a minute." So, I rested the bike next to a reflector pole, and was walking around to get my wind.

The next thing I knew, I was waking up. There was a gash under my eye, another on my forehead, scrapes on my knuckles, and the knee of my exercise pants was ripped. My shoulder and hip were aching. My glasses were shattered on the asphalt, and I was laying with my body in the road, and my feet were on the white line.

I tried to call Julie on her cell phone, but she was outside, and couldn't hear anything. Then I called our next door neighbor, and she didn't answer. I called several persons in my phone, and finally found one at home. He came out and picked me up, and took me to his house. They pumped some fluids in me, and we got hold of Julie.

Here's a photo of the results of my escapade.

 
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Rob Anderson said...

That's a bummer. Looks like you and I are getting too old to exercise. I had my big crash last year.

http://therobandersonfamily.blogspot.com/2009/08/robs-pick-your-path-adventure.html

Aaron said...

I remember seeing that last year, Rob. I hope you're feeling better.

Hama Roska said...

Thanks for a story and picture. I'm glad you're ok. Silly doctors, they tell us to exercise so we can go in and give them business when we hurt. It's a conspiracy I tell you.

"My Wallet's Gone!!"

Unknown said...

Man, can I relate to that today! You'll have to read my blog to understand.

Passing out sucks!

Unknown said...

Never exercise, it will always give you scars.

At least it was not as bad a this guy: http://www.spokemagazine.com/2010/04/hand-brake/

Aaron said...

Aaron: thanks for helping me see the silver lining.

Post a Comment