January 19, 2008

The week in review

This week I spent my first real time on the other side of the audit fence. From Wednesday morning until Friday afternoon, the auditors from Tanner LC were at the office doing tests and writing documentation of our controls as part of our audit. I must admit that there were certain parts of me that waxed nostalgic for the old days, but overall, I don’t think I’d care to go back to that life for anything.

I certainly have tried to make their lives as easy and pain-free as possible, because I know that they probably have 12 other clients who are not making the transition to the new SASs without a fight. We spent a lot of time late in 2007 doing documentation and write-ups of our controls, and I put together a 58 page document filled with flow-charts and matrices, so that they wouldn’t have to spend as much time doing that, and I worked hard to make sure that they had the things they needed to complete their planning and preparation work so that when they come back in two weeks to do the financial audit, they’ll be ready to go.

But getting all those things done, and keeping up with my regular workload takes time. This was also my week to teach Seminary, so I started each day at 5:00 AM, and didn’t get home before 7:00 PM each night, so I am feeling pretty wasted this week. Last night when I got home, I crashed with the Julie and the kids on the couch, and watched Cars. Andrew and Kristi’s son Ethan loves Cars, and several times during the movie, I was able to think about Ethan’s demonstration of the same scene. Like: “Hi! My name’s Mater. Like Mater without the ‘Ta.’”

Anyway, that’s what’s happened this week in my life, I think.

3 comments:

David, MJ said...

You've treated them so well that they are going to request that all their clients be ex-Tanner employees. I'm sure there are more advantages than disadvantages to being able to see both sides of the fence. Your company is lucky to have you!

Ash said...

Well, I'm just catching up on some blog reading and happy to find this one again. Where have I been?? You Clarks are really good writers.

Aaron said...

mikeandash: We've been enjoying your blog, too. Thanks for stopping by.

Post a Comment