January 3, 2008

New prescription glasses at a great price

So, being the curious fellow that I am, I try to read a lot of interesting stuff from a lot of interesting people. One day I stumbled upon an article on 43Folders about buying prescription glasses online. Being a long-time wearer of spectacles, my curiosity was piqued. I read the article, which pointed to a blog called Glassy Eyes. Ira Mitchell, the owner of said website, got fed up with the whole prescription eyeglass system, did did some research, tried a whole bunch of glasses, and started a blog to tell about his experience. I joined the rest of his readers and tried a purchase from Zenni Optical. That was two weeks ago.

Yesterday my new glasses came in the mail. The prescriptions seem pretty good and they came with anti-scratch, anti-reflective, UV blocking lenses. All for about $20 a pair. Wow. Last time I bought glasses (4 years ago), I probably paid 10 times that amount just for frames. And when those frames got broken, I was very sad to have to shell out that much again to keep the lenses going. If only I had known.

There is a downside to this process. You can’t try things on in the store to see how they fit or look. I did OK with my purchases, but Julie doesn’t like the new frames as much as she liked the old. The old rated 9 on her scale, and these are only showing a 7 on her scale.

Pictures to come.

2 comments:

Hama Roska said...

That's awesome. Thanks for the heads up. For $20.00 I might get 2 pair and not care what one of them looks like on my face.

What a great piece of info to pass on. Thanks!

JED MAIL said...

Wow! After my glasses were run over by a Humvee, I've been wearing my spares--a 1970's pair of giant, square glasses that cover the entire upper half of my big fat face! This looks like something I could order and have shipped to me in Iraq!

Post a Comment