December 4, 2009

Pack Meeting and Budgets

James was supposed to get his wolf last night, but apparently the pack is out of budget, so we'll wait until January to get it. Apparently we need to refer the pack to www.youneedabudget.com.

We've been using the system advocated by Jesse Mecham for several months now, and, although not particularly revolutionary, it has made the budget a much less troublesome topic of discussion around the house. Talking about the budget is no longer a major stress issue anymore, and both Julie and I are more comfortable and understanding of each others' point of view. And since we live off of last month's income, the timing issues of when we can pay the mortgage, tithing, and the credit card bill. (We use the credit card instead of cash, enjoy the cashback bonus, and pay it in full each and every month. The "poor" folks at Discover have never received a penny in interest from me.)

While we don't use the YNAB software because we already had Quicken®, I created a spreadsheet that utilizes Quicken reports and does basically the same thing. It's pretty slick. If you want a copy, let me know.

An interesting aside: Mr. Mecham (YNAB founder) and I both attended BYU at the same time, and were actually in several classes together. I doubt he remembers me, though. I was one of the outsiders who only attended for graduate school, and didn't go through the Junior Core. (It's like moving to a small town from the big city. People don't trust you for the first six months.) From what I remember, though, he's a decent and sharp fellow.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Nanny and I use YNAB and have done so for the past 2 years. Nice system easy to use and understand.

Post a Comment