July 28, 2009

Topic 15: New technology

When I decided to write about new technology, the first thing I thought is that I would sound like an old geezer who tells anyone who would listen, "In my day we walked to school, and wore yellow onions on our belt (on account of the war you couldn't get white ones), and took the ferry to Shelbyville. It only cost a nickel, which in those days had a picture of a bee on it. Give me five bees for a quarter we'd say..."

New technology, in general, is "a good thing." I am, however, disinclined to try out a lot of the new stuff, because it just seems like a waste of time. Facebook is an example of something that can be valuable, but for too many persons, is a waste of time. I like being able to reconnect with friends who were lost to me, and see what they are up to. I don't care to see all the silly games that they play. It's nice in thought to send me a virtual fruit, or a virtual hug, or a virtual teddy bear, or whatever, but what I'd rather have is a real message that tells me how you're doing, and what's happening in your life, and if you need a favor. My good friend Ethan Stubbs and I used it to to reconnect in (I know this will sound strange to some facebookies) the real world.

We hadn't seen each other in years (maybe 10), but we reconnected on Facebook and then met for dinner and real conversation. That is what makes Facebook valuable. It's not mafia wars, or farmville, or poker, or anything else. It's about knowing that you are connected to your friends, not just virtually, but in reality.

What are your thoughts on technology? Has Facebook lost its relevance for you?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You sound a lot like this old man. Yes Facebook stinks, so lets all move up to that cabin in Montana and whittle wood on the porch.

Hama Roska said...

To my brother: this sounds a lot like the Facebook post from Aaron, my former neighbor. This borders on cheating. ;)

As to Facebook I feel the same. I really want to know what people are up to but I don't like all the bologna that comes with it. Then I miss out on what people are really doing because there's a bunch of the bologna on my home page and thus I don't check it often enough. It's a vicious cycle but I do like that you used it to have a real convo.

There is something that can be learned from this post, so thanks once more.

Aaron said...

Hama, I didn't realize that he had said anything until after he posted his comment. You think I read other people's blogs? :)

And what the heck is a convo? Is that like taking a vacay?

mytee sooperox said...

I think Facebook is a cool tool but I hate all the junk that people just caught up with. That saying, I love the "Hide" feature on Facebook so that if I want to see about people, I can hide all the junk and just get their status. So I feel connected to people and not junk.

FB has also kept my friends in my town closer. We all check it regularly and if we want to get together (eg. one of us is going to McDonald's and wants others to join her) we just put it on FB and it happens. My friend threw and impromptu get together last night that was very successful and all she did was announce it on Facebook in the afternoon.

Post a Comment