July 19, 2009

Topic 6: My Country ’Tis of Thee

Today one of our speakers in church was asked to talk about patriots and the founding fathers. The things that I heard (I was in the foyer with Alden for a good portion of the meeting) were, while not particularly eloquent, very heartfelt. I feel badly that I don't even know who the speaker was to give him credit for his thoughts.

He talked about true patriotism being a quiet, humble, feeling of respect and love for one's country; he noted that it is not boastful or superior or proud. It isn't chest beating jingoism (my words, not his), but it is something that every citizen can and probably ought to feel.

Our speaker then discussed some of the important documents in our nations history, like the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. I don't know about other religions, but in our's, we believe that these documents, especially the Constitution, were inspired by God. (With regards to the various compromises [eg, Three-fifths Compromise], we believe that God gives men agency, or the power to choose, and he knew that it couldn't have been ratified without them. That's my take on it anyway. Comments are open for thoughtful discussion.)

A few years ago, I read a book entitled "Miracle at Philidelphia: The Story of the Constitutional Convention" at the behest of one of my professors. The author asserts that it was nothing short of a miracle that the different states were able to draft such a momentous document, convince the delegates to throw out the less than perfect Articles of Confederation, and get the Constitution ratified by the states. As I read the account, as taken from notes of persons attending the convention, I found that I had to agree. There were some vehement battles, and some tough things that those delegates had to do to get everything ready and working. It was, indeed, a miracle.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks, a modern-day Apostle and former attorney and Utah Supreme Court Justice, wrote a stirring article with his thoughts on the Constitution. I recommend that you read it.

We live in a marvelous country. It was founded on principles of righteousness, by far-sighted and strong individuals. Our Constitution continues to serve as a model for the rest of the world, and I hope it will continue to do so.

Our fathers’ God, to thee,
Author of liberty,
To thee we sing;
Long may our land be bright
With freedom’s holy light.
Protect us by thy might,
Great God, our King!

2 comments:

Hama Roska said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I am checking each day to see what you've written. I am grateful for my heritage and that I've been taught to appreciate and revere my country and what a blessing it is to live here. I think it has been more prevalent in my life as of recently and I'm glad to hear that people are talking about it.

Aaron said...

Hey Hama! I'm glad you're enjoying it. We do have a great heritage, don't we?

Post a Comment