July 15, 2009

Topic 2: Health Care in America

Nothing like starting our challenge with a little controversy, is there?

One of the Wyoming senators is Dr. John Barasso, who, with his fellow senator and physician, Dr. Tom Coburn, have new webcast to discuss health care in America. As a citizen of Wyoming, and a dutiful patriot, I have sent my senators letters regarding topics about which I care, and as a result I ended up on Senator Barraso’s email list. (A quick aside: I wrote letters to the congressional delegation from Utah occasionally while we lived there, and never heard from them again. Oh well.)

Anyway, Senator Barasso emailed and asked the citizens of Wyoming to pose questions about health care in the US that they could feature on their show. This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart (pun intended), and so I responded with this question:

Could you please address in your broadcast how the Congress could create a viable health care solution that would permit the market, rather than the government, to cover the uninsured and/or reign in health care costs, without additional government spending?

What's a country to do? Everything that I have heard says that the uninsured cost the taxpayer a significant amount of money. On the other hand, our government already spends more than they bring in.

So, dear reader, does such a solution exist? If so, what is it? If not, why not? Thoughtful answers graciously accepted in the comments, or, if you have relevant links to share, please post them.

P.S. I got an email from the senators this afternoon that my question would be featured on an upcoming broadcast.

2 comments:

Hama Roska said...

I've noted recently that we, as a nation, need more people to stand up and say what's buggin. Sure we can say this or that is a problem but how many people do something about it? So thank you for writing and posing your question. I think your "market funding the deficit" is a grand idea, I just don't know enough economics to say how it would work. (Invisible Hand!)

Aaron said...

Yeah!! Invisible Hand!!!

Post a Comment