August 6, 2007

Ahh, to be back home

Let me start by saying that I had a splendid weekend. I enjoyed hanging out with everyone, and being a part of James and Michelle’s wedding. Going to the old ward and seeing our friends was cool, too, and almost made me nostalgic for the old life in Salt Lake.

But then I spent today in Salt Lake, and felt myself strangely (or perhaps not so strangely) longing for home. I missed the slow-going rural lifestyle. For all of my life, I considered myself a city-slicker, and I probably always will be one, but there’s just something undeniably addictive about life in the country. It could be the lack of traffic, or the clean mountain air, or the slower pace of life, or the folks who talk to you in the line at the grocery store who don’t know you from Adam, but whatever it is, I missed it this weekend. I suspect that it may be all of those things, but even more than that, I’m fairly certain that there is something in our subconscience selves that likes to be “home:” sleeping in your own bed, using your own toothbrush (Julie has a story about that, I hope), being able to find what you are looking for in the kitchen: it is all part of “home,” and I’m glad to be back.

4 comments:

Greatest American Fisherman ever said...

Now you know how all of us feel living in Logan. I hate SLC. I love my family and it's nice to see them every so often but the pace of life is way too fast. I get tired of people riding you as you drive, the constantly feeling like you need to be doing something. That's why we only stay for a weekend if even that!

Aaron said...

I hear you, Drew. You really got to come over and hang out for a couple of days. We’ll go fishing or something, and take it easy.

Greatest American Fisherman ever said...

I think maybe we could go up in Sept. Right now all the dinero is invested in our trip to San Diego, we extended it up to Fremont which is just outside of San Fran. We're getting so pumped! But after we have had a chance to recover I think something could be in the works!

Aaron said...

Dude. That sounds awesome. I chatted with a guy from work about fishing today, and now I know the places to go for some sweet, sweet fishy. Just give us a holler, and we’ll set it up.

I’m excited for your trip. I hope you have tons of fun!

Post a Comment