August 12, 2007

Our talks today

Since I intended to write about Maggie on Saturday, but didn’t have the chance, you have to get a couple of posts on the same day. I’m hoping that this won’t cause ClarksInWyoming overload for anybody, but if it does, I apologize in advance. This post is somewhat churchy in nature, so if that bothers you, you can quit reading now.

We’ve had a great day today. Our talks went off without a hitch. The kids both did a great job: Anna recited her line from last year’s primary program, and James recited a scripture that he memorized for primary last month. I started to get pretty nervous during Julie’s talk, so I (sheepishly) admit, that I don’t know what she talked about.

My talk covered some of the impressions that I got as I read “The Living Christ”. I talked about the need to prepare ourselves for the coming of the Lord; we should prepare ourselves physically (food storage, financial reserves), mentally (education and understanding), and spiritually (obedience to the commandments and learning to love God). Then I talked about the hope that Christ gives us, especially the hope of a resurrection. I talked about Miguel, one of the converts that Elder Allison and I taught in Chile, who drowned on a scout activity just a month after his baptism. His family, though beset by grief at the loss of their son, was strong because of their knowledge of the resurrection. They were sealed together a year later (Miguel by proxy), and as far as I know, they continue to be a beacon in their branch. I talked about how I hoped for the day of resurrection to see my grandfathers, whom I love a lot, and long to see again. Because of Christ, I am sure that I will see them again, and it gladdens my heart. I also talked about the Atonement and its importance to all of us. I shared some of my favorite scriptures on the Atonement, and finished by bearing my testimony. I closed, we sang the closing hymn, and walked out of the chapel at precisely 10:10. I couldn’t have planned it better if I had tried.

Every time I speak in Church, I’m amazed by the way the Spirit works. There were a couple of times when I had planned on saying one thing, but I said something else, and there were a couple of scriptures that came to mind while I was speaking that I hadn’t even thought of during my preparation, but that I felt needed to be shared. I’m certain that the Lord had something in mind for someone when He prompted me to say and do what I did.

6 comments:

Hama Roska said...

You can not be nervous about being the seminary teacher. You've got it down. Thanks for posting.

Aaron said...

Not be nervous? How can I be anything other than nervous? There's a difference between the big faceless crowd and the intimate classroom experience. Thanks for the vote of confidence, though. I appreciate it.

David, MJ said...

Wish we could have been there!

Aaron said...

David and MJ: I think Julie may be glad you weren't. She gets so nervous when it comes to these things.

David, MJ said...

Where's "the fish" pictures, James? Can't wait to see them!

Aaron said...

David and MJ: Whoa, now! We only just caught the fish yesterday evening. You’ve got to give us time to write it up. ;)

Post a Comment