August 12, 2007

The new preferred method of locomotion

I’d like everybody to meet Maggie, my new bicycle. Do you remember “A Christmas Story” and Ralphie’s desire to get “an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and ‘this thing’ which tells time”? Well, for a while now, Aaron has been desiring a soft-tail, aluminum-frame, disc-brake equipped mountain bike with Shimano components and Rock Shox for riding around town. And he got it.

I should explain: when we moved here, we finally had both time to take leisurely bike rides, and a place to store bikes so we could take said rides. The problem was, we didn’t have a bike for everyone to ride. So, while I was at work, Julie, James and Anna would ride their bikes to the library, and to the fair grounds, and through the neighborhoods. In the evenings, I would occasionally borrow Julie’s bike to take a ride of my own, but it was really hard for the whole family to ride bikes. So, Julie gave me permission to buy a bike.

I did some research, and discovered this Orem based outfit called Fezzari. They sell bikes directly to consumers, so they cut out the middle-men and sell cool bikes for a lot less than the competition. I was looking at a Trek 6100 (I believe that’s the model), which is more in the starter end of Trek bikes. For about the same price, I was able to get a bunch of sweet upgrades (including the soft-tail), and have the bike delivered straight to my door in Marbleton, Wyoming. How cool is that? Not only do I laud the Fezzari folks for building a good product at a good price, I must mention that I ordered the bike on Monday, and it was delivered on Thursday. I thought it would take at least a week, so huzzah for Fezzari.

The bike, which I am naming Maggie in honor of the horse that Anna rode, arrived on Thursday night, and we took it for two rides: a quick ride on Friday morning before work, and a longer ride in the Red Hills yesterday. She performed superbly. Even now, I become a little verklempt, just thinking about it.

And that’s the news from Marbleton, where all the women are strong, the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.

4 comments:

Hama Roska said...

She's a beauty. Yesterday I started singing "Maggie Mo...she's a vegetarion, Maggie Mo, Maggie Mo..." It's my version.

David, MJ said...

I love the picture with your new treasure and the rustic background. It's great to have a place to store your stuff. Happy trails to you and yours! You can probably go on a different path, everyday for a year and not duplicate your route. Enjoy!

Aaron said...

Thanks, everybody!

Emily said...

I can tell that somebody listens to "A Prarie Home Companion."

Post a Comment