August 21, 2007

So, how about that fish

Things have been pretty hectic around our house and at work for the past few days, so we apologize to our reader for any lack of output from the ClarksInWyoming clan. This week should be a little lighter.

Julie will probably have to tell us all about the guest experience from last week. (Nine guests, plus our four, makes 13 persons living in our house. We were surprisingly comfortable!) Or, perhaps, I’ll find some time to tell about it. But Julie was there the whole time, whilst I was there only in the evenings.

I’ll tell you about our post-guest excursion to Middle Piney Lake. After the guests left, Julie wanted some time to herself to unwind and straighten up our castle. James, Anna, and I, eager to oblige, decided to take our equipment and head up the road for a little bit of fishing.

We drove up to Middle Piney Lake, which we had heard was a good fishing spot. It only takes about 30 minutes to get there from our home, and the drive itself is worth the trip. We saw all kinds of animals, trees, rivers, and hills. The mountains are gorgeous. I look forward to camping there sometime.

When we got to the lake (also gorgeous), the wind had picked up a bit, and casting was difficult. James was having a pretty rough time, and Anna didn’t even want to fish. I put a big sinker and some bait on Anna’s rod (yes, Anna has a rod), cast it out, and handed the rod to James. Then I worked on fixing his line, which had become tangled in the wind. After fixing it, I cast it out, and began to reel in.

I felt a familiar tug, and told the kids, “I have a fish!” Then I realized that my line had crossed James’s line in the wind, and that I was just reeling in his line. When I told James to reel in, he got really excited, and started to reel. When the drag on his line started to sing, I got really excited for him. James kept working on bringing in the fish, and then we brought it in.

The fish he pulled in was bigger than any fish I’ve ever caught. When we took it home to measure it, it measured 16.5" in length, which is a good size for a rainbow trout. Boy, were the kids excited to see the fish. Anna kept asking if she could pet it, and when she did, she jumped back when the fish wriggled for her.

Anyway, it was a fun experience. Here are the pictures we took of the triumphant fisherman and his fish: So, the pictures I thought I had copied onto my computer didn’t actually get copied. Sorry. As soon as I find them, they’ll be here.

3 comments:

Hama Roska said...

I still squirm when it comes to petting the fish. I can't hold fish like a pro yet, they squirm and I squirm.

That's funny that Aaron has been outfished by his son and his little sister all in the same summer. ;) Love ya Aaron!

Aaron said...

Hama: Outfished, eh? We’ll see what happens. There is still time to see who the greatest fisherman is.

Greatest American Fisherman ever said...

Dont even go there, we all know without a doubt who is the greatest fisherman in this family...look the title even says so!

Post a Comment