August 8, 2007

Assignments from the Church

Our dastardly Bishop showed up at our house last night under the guise of “wanting to visit.” So, we let him in. How could I, of all persons, not recognize the ploy used by bishops and stake presidents the world over?

The visit started innocently enough with some chit-chat about how we enjoyed life here in Marbleton, and if we were growing accustomed to the climate, and so on and so forth. Then, without any warning, he dropped a bomb: “Have you ever spoken in Church?” To which we replied that yes, we had spoken many times in church. “In our ward?” he asked. “Not yet,” we answered. “Would you like to?” How do you say “I’d rather eat prickly pear cactus without skinning and de-prickling it first” without offending? So we agreed to speak in church. And that, we thought, was the end of the visit.

But it didn’t stop there. He started asking about our background in the church, and did I have any teaching experience. I told about my different callings, and my stint as a trainer at the hotel chain. He nodded his head, said something in Japanese to his wife, and then turned and dropped the big bomb: “We’d like you to be a seminary teacher. Would you be willing to do that for us?”

Stunned silence.

I didn’t know quite what to say, other than, “Sure. Yes.” OK. What did I just do?! Seminary teacher? Me? Yikes!

Well, I’ve had a day to let the idea sink in, and it still doesn’t seem real. I met the CES Coordinator for the area today, and signed my volunteer form, so after it gets processed later this week, I will officially be one of two seminary teachers for the Big Piney Ward. Wow!

3 comments:

David, MJ said...

Congratulations. Post this on the Harline Family Blog. I think the Loves have done Seminary teaching. Where will the teaching take place? How many students? Is it an early morning class? When do you start? What day do you speak in church?

Hama Roska said...

That's Awesome. I've always thought that you would do well as a seminary teacher. One of my favorite memories is when you spoke to my seminary group for parent's day. The Lord will bless you. Congrats!!!

Aaron said...

David and MJ: I have no ability to post on the Harline Family blog, but you could link to this from there if you like. To answer your questions, it is early morning seminary at the church for about 20 kids. We start at the end of the month. We’re speaking in church on Sunday.

Emily: Thanks for for your encouragement. I hope I do OK.

Post a Comment