August 22, 2007

Useful tools for blogging

For those of you who might be interested in how I run and post to this blog, the following items are really quite useful:

  1. Picasa. Picasa makes it easy to post a photo to your blog. I also like the sorting/tracking functionality it offers when you have a lot of photos on your computer. My Dad probably would overload it, because he’s a professional photographer, but for us amateurs, it’s great.
  2. Blogger Markdown Support. Can I say wow? This is awesome. You type in basically plain text, and it converts it to properly formed HTML. For us HTML nerds who (used to) post to our blogs in handwritten HTML, this is very helpful. It requires the following two tools.
  3. Firefox. The best browser I’ve ever used. Period.
  4. Greasemonkey. If you have Firefox, you should try Greasemonkey. It allows you to modify your browser with javascript. This is ubernerd territory, but you can download scripts that other people have written. I’ve customized the Blogger Markdown Script to use Showdown and to convert straight quotes to curly quotes.
  5. Blogger. I’ve been on Blogger since before it was owned by the Big G, and I still like it a lot. It is really easy to use, and I can customize most of their stuff to my heart’s content.

That would about do it. My extensive knowledge of HTML and CSS are helpful, too. (That’s joke, by the way. It’s hard to express sarcasm on the web.) Hope that satisfies any curiosity that may have existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment